Friday, May 25, 2012

DIY Baby Mobile

This project was so much fun! I had been wanting to make one for a while but I needed inspiration by looking at all kinds of baby mobiles {aka pinterest} I ended up making mine very similar to one I found on there.  This is a great project though because there really are no limits!! You can do farm animals, sea animals, or even just shapes! I fell in love with this owl one though. 





You will need:

842 white felt squares
1 lime green felt square
1 kelly green felt square
1 baby blue felt square
1 orange felt square
String {could be white, clear... whatever you'd like!}
Something to hang everything on! {I found mine at Michaels, it was perfect because it had holes in it to string through each piece.  It was around $2 I think and is wood.  Find it near the wreath stuff!
White craft paint {or whatever color you want}
Hot glue gun
Scissors
Sewing Machine
Batting
Something for the eyes {I used black rhinestones}
Buttons {optional}
Fabric Scraps {for some owls bellies, optional}


Cost Breakdown:


-6 felt squares - I saw felt at Walmart for $0.23!! The only thing is the color selection may not be the best.  Otherwise I think it's around $0.34 @ your local craft store.
-String - I think was around $2.00 but had TONS left for future projects.
-Wreath - $2.00
-Craft paint - $0.84
-Batting - $4.00 but I have tons left for other projects as well.
All the rest of the supplies I already had so hopefully you can find some things lying around your house that you can use too!

Total cost: $10.88




Let's get started,
first... I painted my wreath white.  I added a coat of glitter paint on top to add some charm.  Next, I cut out all of my pieces {owls, birds, clouds, the moon, the whole shebang}.  I just free cut them all, but if you don't feel comfortable, find a pattern online to use as your sample. 

Glue on all of your eyes, noses, buttons and whatever you want to add to your characters.

This part is TRICKY! Don't forget {like I did} to sew onto  the string... I sewed my owls seperate from the string and realized that the string will show as well as the glue on the back of the owls.  {I hope that makes sense}.  I sewed around the owls just enough to leave an opening to stuff them with fluff :)

For the wreath, I cut out white felt to make clouds to surround the whole thing.  Which I think turned out really cute!

Add your finishing touches and then you are free to hang in you nursery.


Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment